- What are the commands I can use?
- How can I correct things I (or others) have said?
- How can I give and take away points?
- What gets logged when I use Partychat?
- Can I access Partychat from my browser?
- How can I give feedback?
- Partychat or Partychapp?
What are the commands I can use?
- /leave - leave the room
- /list [filter] - show members of room, optionally filtered to only matching members
- /help - shows this
- /alias name - rename yourself to 'name'
- /score target - see the score of 'target' in plusplusbot
- /reasons target - see why target's score was changed
- /me - describe what you're doing in the third person
- /share http://example.com/ [annotation] - shares a URL with the room
- /inviteonly - Set the room to invite-only
- /togglelogging - Enable or disable logging for a room.
- /invite email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org ... - Invite a list of email addresses to this room
- /kick - Remove a user or invitation from this room
- /status - show what room you're in
- summons a person in the room by sending them an email.
- /undo - undo the pluspluses and minusminuses from your last message
... - prints a link to a graph of the changes to up to three targets' scores.
- /snooze (20s|45m|1h|2d) - snooze for a specified amount of time in seconds, minutes, hours, or days.
- returns a link to a pre-populated form to file a bug.
- search and replace handler - use s/foo/bar to replace foo with bar
- plusplusbot: handles ++'s and --'s
How can I correct things I (or others) have said?
If you make a typo, you can easily do a search-and-replace to indicate that you really mean. You can do this by saying
s/to replace/replacement/, for example:
me: man, Kushal sure is horny today.
partychat: dolapo meant man, Kushal sure is corny today
Even better, you can use this to to correct what others have said, by prefixing it with their name:
dolapo: that's corny, kushal
kushal: dolapo: s/that's c/I'm h/
partychat: kushal thinks dolapo meant I'm horny, kushal
kushal: dolapo: s/see/boo/
partychat: kushal thinks dolapo meant booya
How can I give and take away points?
You can give points to things you like by typing ++ at the end of them
in your message, and the PlusPlusBot will keep track of them for you. For
example, you might say
partychat++ for being so handy. This adds
one to the score for partychat, which you cab see by typing
partychat. Or you can take points away from things you dislike, such as
kushal-- for another bad pun.
You can also see all the recent reasons why someone/something got points
/reasons thing. If you use the web page for a
room (see below), you can see all the things have points in that room,
along with handy graphs.
What gets logged when I use Partychat?
What you say in a room in Partychat may be logged in various places, here's the list of them as best as we can tell:
By Partychat: If you enable logging for a room (controlled by the
web interface), then recent messages (currently 10 for
each member) will be logged. This enables the search
and replace feature and
/undo commands to work.
By Gmail/Google Talk: If you use a Gmail/Google Talk account, chats may be archived by default (this is what enables messages that were sent while offline to be delivered to you later). If you'd like to turn this off, you can enable off the record mode.
By your chat client: If you use a desktop chat client such as Adium, chat history may be saved by that client as well. Check your client's settings or documentation for more details.
Can I access Partychat from my browser?
Sort of. Each room has a web page. If you
in, you'll see a list of the rooms you're in on the
homepage, with each room being a link. Alternatively, you
to go to a room's web page directly.
How can I give feedback?
You can give feedback to the developers at .
Partychat or Partychapp?
We're called Partychat, but due to various reasons we could not get
partychat.appspot.com when we switched to
Google's App Engine, so
getting a name that sounds like Partychat but also alludes to the fact that
we run on App Engine was the next best thing.